Home » History

History

Diamond Hill was built by a local merchant in 1820, long before the town was named Charlotte Court House.  When the red clay was excavated during construction the mica particles embedded in the soil sparkled and glittered like diamonds.  Therefore, the house was named “Diamond Hill”.

The home’s front porch was added around 1915 and the house was renovated and an addition was constructed in 1965. Mr. Robert Courtland Moates, Sr., a well-known Civil War enthusiast who often played the role of General Robert E. Lee during reenactments, bought the house in later years and is today remembered in the name of the Robert “Lee” Moates Meeting House.  The current owners are former DoD contractors who left the bustle of Washington, DC, life for the tranquility of southern Virginia.